Wednesday, November 14, 2012

New Yorker in the making!

I rode the subway...by myself with two kids, a stroller, and  a huge diaper bag.

Riding the subway might not seem like a huge accomplishment to some people, but for me, it was a major accomplishment. The past week or so, I've become really comfortable in my new surroundings. 

I remember the first time I came to New York. It was Thanksgiving 2009. Daniel was deployed, and my friend Emily invited my brother, Allen, and I to go visit her family in NY for Thanksgiving. I was so excited to go! Ha, I remember the drive took f o r e v e r. I gasped every time she got too close to the car in front of us, or if someone cut us off. I was then banished to the backseat where I got car sick due to the massive amount of anxiety that kept building in the pit of my stomach. Yeah, I'm a spaz. I told myself that New York was a nice place to visit, but I would never live in New York. I forgot about that life rule that says something along the lines of "never say never"! I guess the joke is on me. 

When Daniel was offered his new job, and it was confirmed we were moving to New York; I remember being nervous about walking every where with the boys. The picture I had in my mind, and where we actually live, are two totally  different things. I absolutely love it here in New York. If I could give advice to anyone moving somewhere unknown, I would tell them to embrace it. Life is an adventure! I can't believe I've waited over a month to catch the subway. Life here is so much easier than I imagined it being. 

Here are just a few things (..or ten..) that I love about New York:
  1. The grocery stores here deliver! Yes, deliver! I can walk to the store, and if I buy more that $30 worth of products, I get free grocery delivery. 
  2. I can walk everywhere! I have everything I need within a 10 minute walk. You name it; I've got it! Grocery store, doctor, shopping, gym, park, and library to name a few. Plus, I'm going to have some killer legs by next summer!  (That is my goal at least)! 
  3. I feel safe. Ha, those of you that know me really well, know that I tend to obsess about the worst case scenarios all the time. I feel like I've gotten a lot better about that, but it does put more at ease when I feel safe in place. 
  4. I love living in an apartment. Again, I can't believe I'm confessing this. I no longer have to mow a lawn. Nor do I have to worry about taking the trash out on trash day. I know, this makes it sound like I'm lazy, but I'm not. It is just nice, okay? It's the little things.
  5. I like the diversity of the people here in NY. It is fun to people watch, to listen to others speak, and to meet people I never would have been exposed to otherwise. And yes, I even like all the rude New Yorkers. The rude people are making me more aware of how attractive it is to be a kind person. In fact, they inspire me to go out of my way to be nice, even if that means smiling more. 
  6. I don't have to drive! Hold on, let me announce that one more time...I DO NOT HAVE TO DRIVE! Mailboxes are officially safe from me! In case you don't know what that means, let's just say I had a run in with a mailbox this summer, and it wasn't pretty.
  7. Pizza. Sushi. Chinese food. Need I say more? Oh, and bagels. However, I have not had them since I've been here. Although, I have had them before, and they are amazing! I need to remember to get an onion bagel, as soon as possible! 
  8. There's so much to explore, and I can't wait to start exploring more!
  9. Fashion. I'm starting to become obsessed. Uh oh.
  10. Most importantly, my husband and kids are here. I'm so excited to be sharing this experience with them. After all, life is just a little sweeter when you have people to share in a new experience! 
I can confidently say, I'm excited to be a New Yorker in the making.

Here is something to think about: 

You can't start the next chapter in your life, if you keep re-reading the last one.


~A

No comments:

Post a Comment